Still no progress...

Aurelian Radu ricaradu at gmail.com
Sun Mar 12 08:53:51 GMT 2006

Hello, everyone,

As you might have heard, Mark Shuttleworth proposed a six-week delay for the
release of Dapper. Are there any hopes that the accessibility features in
Ubuntu will improve by that time?

What version of gnome-mag / gnopernicus are you people using for testing?
I'im using the packages from the Dapper repos and newer versions don't seem
to have improved anything. For example, issuing "gnopernicus" in the
terminal gives me this:

aurelian at ubuntu:~$ gnopernicus

(process:7874): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_window_set_title: assertion `title !=
NULL'  failed
GTK Accessibility Module initialized
Bonobo accessibility support initialized

**********************
* SCREEN READER CORE *
**********************

GTK Accessibility Module initialized
Bonobo accessibility support initialized

** Magnifier is running.

(srcore:7875): gnopernicus-WARNING **: unknown "text:line" b ouds type

The magnifier does work, but when I open synaptic it freezes and only starts
working again after I close synaptic.
The Firefox focus bug is still there, despite numerous FF upgrades and
updates, OOo 2.0.2 is no better than previous versions... Arrrgh!!!

Please excuse my ranting, but every week I tell myself I'm going to switch
to Ubuntu and every time I try I regret that I'm not a programmer! Because
nobody really cares about accessibility and nobody really understands it.

Have a magnific day!
Aurelian R.