Fixing brittle speech support on Dapper

Enrico Zini enrico at enricozini.org
Tue Jun 13 22:47:47 BST 2006

On Sat, Jun 10, 2006 at 11:22:55AM +0200, Enrico Zini wrote:

>  - speech doesn't work anymore.  test-speech exits with:
>    Exception Unknown CORBA exception id: 'IDL:omg.org/CORBA/COMM_FAILURE:1.0' getting voice list.

I've been waiting but sadly noone answered so far.

I tried reinstalling from scratch in another computer, and I can
trivially reproduce the speech server lockup there as well:

 1) Fresh Ubuntu Dapper, apt-get install festlex-ifd festvox-italp16k
    festvox-itapc16k (from universe)
 2) go to gnopernicus Preferences/Speech/Voices/Modify absolute values
 3) choose "Festival GNOME Speech Driver" as a driver, "V2 lp_diphone"
    as the voice.  Apply setting for all voices.
 4) close the window.  The voice stops.  test-speech hangs after
    selecting the festival server.

Please help me to find some clues on fixing this: it took us years to
get GPL Festival voices for Italian, and now we could easily turn them
into an accessible localised desktop, if it weren't for this.

Ciao,

Enrico

--
GPG key: 1024D/797EBFAB 2000-12-05 Enrico Zini <enrico at enricozini.org>