Other speech engines (was, e: Orca as default screen reader in GNOME 2.16.)

Al Puzzuoli alpuzz at gmail.com
Tue Jun 6 19:19:44 BST 2006

hi Henrik and all.

I personally would love to see movement away from Festival.  it's too big,
it's buggy, it's unresponsive, and for what its worth, it also doesn't play
nice with VMware.

I don't know much about it myself, but a lot of folks over at the speakup
list seem to be pretty excited about Espeak.  From what I understand, it has
a lot of potential, but needs some work.  Also, I'm not sure whether anyone
is doing a gnome-speech driver.  I don't know whether espeak can be brought
up to snuff in time for edgy inclusion, but perhaps it might be worth it to
consider expending some effort to make that happen.

--Al