Channel Bot

Henrik Nilsen Omma henrik at ubuntu.com
Thu Feb 23 09:14:57 GMT 2006

Melissa Draper wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Luke and I had a discussion a few nights back about the possibility of
> stationing a bot in the channel. The bot will store information that can
> be spurted on command, similar to how ubotu works. The idea being, that
> there can be a source of instant information present, even when people
> are not in the channel, idling in the channel, or not responding to
> mails, since we all have to sleep sometime, of course.
>
> Anyway, if you are all willing to at least try this, I have the bot
> coded and ready to join the channel at any time.

Sounds like a good idea in general. So will that trigger on different
typical words and if so shall we maintain a list somewhere (so we can
add to it and also avoid using them normally)?

I could imagine it might get annoying when we are actually using the
channel (but let's worry about that if it becomes an issue). Is it easy
for other people to turn it off? Can channel ops block the bot (not that
we have ops ATM).

But most importantly, Melissa: I'd like to extend a warm welcome to the
accessibility team. Thanks for getting involved :)

- Henrik