TTS voices project

Henrik Nilsen Omma henrik at ubuntu.com
Wed Dec 6 10:27:36 GMT 2006

Luke Yelavich wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 05, 2006 at 02:16:26AM EST, Jonathan Duddington wrote:
>
>> Then it's a process of gradual improvement, both of the phoneme sounds
>> and the letter-to-phoneme translation rules, and also various prosody
>> aspects such as stress, rythem and cadence, intonation, etc., depending
>> on how much work someone wants to do.
>>

> Heh. You know, I am really pondering creating an Australian english
> voice. :)

Doit! I'm going to have a go a the Norwegian one, in part so I can learn
the process of how voice tweaking works. I want to get a fairly detailed
description of that up on the wiki page:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Accessibility/Projects/Voices so that we can
make it REALLY EASY for people to contribute.

Anyone who has experience with working on eSpeak voices please help
flesh out the getting started section of that page. I'd like to make the
instructions really clear before turning to other groups for help.

For example, we have mentioned before that there are some technical and
some less technical ways to contribute. Perhaps we can list those and
try to describe each in some detail.

 * Write test case text files in a given language for use in testing and
development (non-technical, native-speaking)
 * Create initial first-guess language files (highly technical,
non-native-speaking)
 * Making .wav files of different languages/voices for others to listen
to (non-technical, non-native-speaking)
 * Listen to voice output and suggest improvements (non-technical,
native-speaking)
 * Adjust language files based on listener feedback (semi-technical,
native-speaking helps)
 * Record sounds and extract patterns (semi-technical, native-speaking)
 * Modify eSpeak code to accommodate new language features (highly
technical, non-native-speaking)

Anything else?

Henrik