TTS voices project

Jan Claeys lists at janc.be
Tue Dec 5 13:46:57 GMT 2006

Op maandag 04-12-2006 om 14:43 uur [tijdzone +0100], schreef Henrik
Nilsen Omma:
> I'd like to propose a new Ubuntu Accessibility project aimed at creating
> Text To Speech voices (or helping to improve existing ones).
>
> Project wiki page: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Accessibility/Projects/Voices
>
> The project is especially focused on creating and improving eSpeak
> voices, which we need for the multilingual Live CDs and which are
> relatively easy to create. The eSpeak maintainer says that he is happy
> to create new basic language sets, but needs help from native speakers
> to improve them and actually make them usable. Most of this work does
> not involve programming or audio mixing, but merely altering language
> definition files.
>
> So if you speak one of the languages listed in the wiki, please test the
> quality of the voice and give some feedback on what might be improved.
> As we go we can help each other figure out the workings of the eSpeak
> language definition files.

Unfortunately, it seems like eSpeak only (tries to) use OSS, so I guess
many people will only "see" the error message below...   :-(

        PaHost_OpenStream: could not open /dev/dsp for O_WRONLY
        PaHost_OpenStream: ERROR - result = -10000

--
Jan Claeys