Proposed SRU policy amendment for package removals

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Wed Nov 12 14:29:36 UTC 2014

On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 07:53:13AM -0500, Marc Deslauriers wrote:
> On 2014-11-12 05:43 AM, Martin Pitt wrote:
> > Chuck Peters [2014-11-12  3:25 +0000]:
> >> Both tor and owncloud are recurring examples!
> >
> > tor was reintroduced explicitly two years after the removal
> > (https://launchpad.net/bugs/413657). If that is out of date again and
> > unmaintained, we should remove it again and blacklist it this time so
> > that it doesn't come back automatically. If that's the case, then I
> > suggest filing a new removal/SRU bug for this.
>
> Perhaps blacklisting for new releases by default should be added to the
> procedure? We can always remove a package from the blacklist if someone steps up
> and volunteers to support it.

If a package has previously been in Ubuntu and has been removed, then it
won't be auto-synced (although it will show up in the output of
auto-sync for manual resolution; currently only I see that).  It
normally isn't necessary these days to preemptively blacklist things
when you remove them.

If a package actually reappears, it might still be worthwhile to
blacklist it then in order to quieten auto-sync, but you don't need to
do that preemptively.