MRE request: mysql-5.5

Mark Shuttleworth mark at ubuntu.com
Sat Mar 8 11:17:01 UTC 2014

On 08/03/14 10:57, Adam Conrad wrote:
> If the argument is "customers might want it!" then we need to accept
> that we should also be *maintaining* it, and if we're going that way,
> we should be looking at switching wholesale, so we're not maintaining
> two versions.

We've seen that for some applications it is worth bringing new versions
into the realm of easy access during the life of the LTS.

For example, for OpenStack, we plan to maintain multiple versions during
the life of 12.04 and 14.04. And that's really useful. However, it
currently requires that people add a special archive.

To my mind the current proposal is no more than saying "mysql-5.6 will
be available in a separate archive". The proposal uses Universe the way
it should be used - the code is available, and packaged, but for
whatever reason we don't currently want it in main. It does leave open
the option, however, for us to make the same commitment to it as full
maintenance, later on, if it turns out that "customers DO want it!" :)
So I would be supportive of the more open-ended approach in universe.

Mark