MRE request: mysql-5.5

Adam Conrad adconrad at ubuntu.com
Sat Mar 8 10:57:27 UTC 2014

On Fri, Mar 07, 2014 at 10:21:44AM -0800, Clint Byrum wrote:

> I do not support this MRE, and I would like to suggest that mysql-5.6
> _not_ be available in universe.

Extending the MRE to support all future versions seems entirely sane.

> I don't think the community is well served by having mysql-5.6 in universe
> for the life of trusty. It is a bit confusing having two versions, and
> there are enough compelling reasons to use MySQL 5.6 that I fear users
> will choose it not knowing that they'll now be potentially incompatible
> with upstream packages, and unsupported by the Ubuntu project.

I am inclined to agree with this, however.  We've rarely shipped more
than one MySQL version in either Debian or Ubuntu at the same time, and
I can't honestly see how it would be doing anyone any favours, except
to cause confusion.

If the argument is "customers might want it!" then we need to accept
that we should also be *maintaining* it, and if we're going that way,
we should be looking at switching wholesale, so we're not maintaining
two versions.  I agree that it's probably too late to consider this
option, but if someone did a full rdep ABI rebuild/transition test, it
might be worth considering.

The above considerations are, however, not really the TB's bailiwick,
as it's all quite well delegated to the release team.

... Adam