Ubuntu GNOME

Stéphane Graber stgraber at ubuntu.com
Fri Feb 21 15:34:02 UTC 2014

Hi everyone,

So what we did last time around was ask for each flavour to provide a
wiki page about their intentions for the LTS, we then reviewed those and
granted LTS status accordingly.

An example is available at:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Edubuntu/12.04/LTS-Proposal

For this cycle, I don't think it's worth getting every existing LTS
flavour through that paperwork again, but we'll want to know from each
flavour lead whether they do want LTS status, what packages (outside of
the set that's supported by Canonical) they intend to support and for
how long.

For new flavours (I think this currently only applies to Ubuntu GNOME),
having a similar wiki page setup would be nice as it explains what set
of packages are shared with other flavours, contains a list of unique
sources you intend to support and clarifies what users may expect from
LTS status for the flavour.

So it'd be great if you could copy that wiki page and fill it for Ubuntu
GNOME then send us that URL so we can have a quick look at it.

As Mark said, the HWE backports are pretty important and not taking
those has been a source of problem for some flavours in 12.04, I'd
strongly recommend all flavours include those and keep in sync with
Ubuntu in that regard.

I'll now start another thread for all flavour leads for flavours who had
LTS status in 14.04 to confirm that they want it again this year and how
long their support commitment will be (last time it was either 3 years
or 5 years, but I don't see any reason not to accept other values so
long as they are < 5 yeasr).