MRE for juju-core/juju-mongodb

Adam Conrad adconrad at ubuntu.com
Mon Apr 7 08:54:58 UTC 2014

On Fri, Apr 04, 2014 at 02:23:15PM +0100, James Page wrote:

> MongoDB upstream maintain even point releases as stable releases which
> only receive bug fixes as part of minor point releases (see [1] for an
> example).  That said, stable releases are only maintained for 18->24
> months (obviously counter to the 5 year support period for 14.04).
> For this reason, we’d also like permission to introduce new stable
> versions of MongoDB via this package in the future.

A vast majority of our upstreams don't maintain stable releases for the
length of our LTS, this isn't (on its own) a valid reason to go bumping
to new major versions willy-nilly.  We backport security fixes as holes
are found, we don't just toss our hands in the air on the promise of an
LTS having stable APIs and ABIs because it's "too hard".

I realize that people feel that firefox and chromium set a precedent on
this, but those are exceptions (and ones we're not really happy about),
not the rule, and not a practice to be followed by others.

... Adam