Request for Adding Ubuntu Kylin Archive

jackyu at ubuntukylin.com jackyu at ubuntukylin.com
Thu Apr 3 16:56:19 UTC 2014

Hi Martin,

Thanks for your response. I believe you miss the last email I responded to Stéphane (https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/technical-board/2014-April/001865.html), since it got approved just now.

At 2014-04-03 22:15:17,"Martin Pitt" <martin.pitt at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>Hello Jack,
>
>jackyu at ubuntukylin.com [2014-04-01 23:42 +0800]:
>> I'm writing to request to add an archive for Ubuntu Kylin flavor.
>> This archive mainly includes Chinese commercial packages
>> co-developed by Ubuntu Kylin team and commercial companies. We also
>> developed a software center client that supports both Ubuntu archive
>> and Ubuntu Kylin archive.
>
>I must say I'm extremely sceptical of this. So far the TB has
>vigorously denied supported Ubuntu packages/images which enable a
>third-party repository, as that circuments Ubuntu's stability, QA,
>SRU, and MIR policies, doesn't get tested (upgrades and the like),
>doesn't get audited for a trust path and packaging, and so on.

I knew that it is not allowed to have a separate archive for a flavor when I was applying to be a flavor. I totally understand and support this rule. Hence, if we got accepted to build Ubuntu Kylin archive, we have rule and team to manage and monitor it.

>> This request have already been supported by Jason, Leonard, Anthony,
>> etc. from Canonical team. We know that in the rules of Ubuntu,
>> flavors are not allowed to add archives. However, Ubuntu Kylin is a
>> little special since it mainly focuses on  Chinese users.
>
>It's not "more" special than other Ubuntu flavors really.

Yes, not much different. But you know Ubuntu Kylin is developed for users in a non-English country, while other flavors focus on different desktop experience (such as KDE, GNOME, etc) all around the world.

>> Our partners (Such as Sogou, King soft) want to locate their apps in
>> China.
>
>Is there any reason why these applications can't go into
>archive.canonical.com? That's exactly what that repository is for,
>it's already integrated into software-center and the installer, etc.
>Duplicating all that is not only very intrusive and confusing from an
>user's POV, but also not something which I'd like to see two weeks
>before final freeze of an LTS.

There are two reasons:
1) These software providers are not willing to go into an archive abroad due to some reasons (such as the legal issues).
2) These software providers do not have encouragement to go into an archive abroad, since their software only have Chinese version and only provide for Chinese users.
I think these issues are also important when we want to spread Ubuntu to other non-English countries and provides users more local apps.