Request for Adding Ubuntu Kylin Archive

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Thu Apr 3 14:15:17 UTC 2014

Hello Jack,

jackyu at ubuntukylin.com [2014-04-01 23:42 +0800]:
> I'm writing to request to add an archive for Ubuntu Kylin flavor.
> This archive mainly includes Chinese commercial packages
> co-developed by Ubuntu Kylin team and commercial companies. We also
> developed a software center client that supports both Ubuntu archive
> and Ubuntu Kylin archive.

I must say I'm extremely sceptical of this. So far the TB has
vigorously denied supported Ubuntu packages/images which enable a
third-party repository, as that circuments Ubuntu's stability, QA,
SRU, and MIR policies, doesn't get tested (upgrades and the like),
doesn't get audited for a trust path and packaging, and so on.

> This request have already been supported by Jason, Leonard, Anthony,
> etc. from Canonical team. We know that in the rules of Ubuntu,
> flavors are not allowed to add archives. However, Ubuntu Kylin is a
> little special since it mainly focuses on  Chinese users.

It's not "more" special than other Ubuntu flavors really.

> Our partners (Such as Sogou, King soft) want to locate their apps in
> China.

Is there any reason why these applications can't go into
archive.canonical.com? That's exactly what that repository is for,
it's already integrated into software-center and the installer, etc.
Duplicating all that is not only very intrusive and confusing from an
user's POV, but also not something which I'd like to see two weeks
before final freeze of an LTS.

Thanks,

Martin