Giving upload rights to non-Ubuntu members

Mark Shuttleworth mark at ubuntu.com
Sat Jul 27 18:05:46 UTC 2013

On 25/07/13 02:42, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> e.g. instead of PPU for 5 related packages, here's a small packageset
> that we'll let you upload to. For these kinds of cases, PPU for X
> packages or create a packageset is only an adminstrative difference.

Agreed, it's more efficient to express collections as a packageset, and
to be encouraged.

> As a practical matter, I expect this new option to primarily apply to
> Debian developers that are someone interested in their packages in
> Ubuntu, but not making a major commitment to it. If their keys get
> compromised we're in trouble whether they have upload rights to Ubuntu
> or not. Scott K

That's only true if we track their debian permissions. If they were to
become inactive in Debian, but we left their keys active, we'd be
vulnerable in the way I described.

In general there are means and mechanisms to apply a 'steady wind' that
blows things in the right direction. For example, with Ubuntu
membership, you need to ask to renew it or it lapses. I think we should
be mindful that many granular permissions that are granted and then not
watched is a recipe for a dark corner filling with dust bunnies that
might catch fire later.

In short, I'm absolutely +1 on upload permissions being decoupled from
membership, and actively encouraged as a way to bring folks into
development who are skilled and interested and focused on particular
sets of packages. But I think we should be WISE about that and aim to
have a self-gardening system throughout. Otherwise, in 10 years time
there will be a very long list of permissions out there, not all of
which are relevant, and nobody will have time to garden it until we have
a problem.

Mark