Giving upload rights to non-Ubuntu members

Stefano Rivera stefanor at ubuntu.com
Thu Jul 25 11:09:58 UTC 2013

Hi Dave (2013.07.25_09:34:59_+0200)
> It feels like the burden of requesting upload access is heavier than
> that of finding a sponsor, but this is based on my assumptions that
> could well be invalid.  Either way, it would be good to add support
> based on documented evidence.

Requesting upload access is a once-off burden, after which you get
instant uploads. Getting sponsorship means waiting for your sponsor to
have time to review your package, every time you want to do something.

> If we make it easier for DD's to get upload access, then I fear we
> reduce our quality control that DMB currently provides which ensures
> that the potential uploader has a good understanding of the Ubuntu
> ecosystem.  To me, it feels that the criteria of ~ubuntu-membership is
> a reasonable standard to measure this.

I strongly disagree with this. We trust don't grant upload access to
anyone we don't trust to use it wisely.

Yes, a DD with little involvement in Ubuntu may not know the Ubuntu
release cycle and processes. But they'll be quizzed on that before we
give them upload rights.

And, of course, they'll have to have already done some sponsored
uploads, just not the membership "significant and sustained
contributions" standard. And they'll have to have been endorsed by some
Ubuntu developers, who have experience working with them.

SR

--
Stefano Rivera
  http://tumbleweed.org.za/