Giving upload rights to non-Ubuntu members

Iain Lane laney at ubuntu.com
Tue Jul 23 22:36:10 UTC 2013

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your reply.

On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 10:10:28PM +0100, Mark Shuttleworth wrote:

> Just a note of support for this from my perspective (and if desired, can
> raise with the wider CC).

Thanks - we have actually discussed this with the CC in the past
(admittedly some time ago). I wasn't the driver from the DMB's side at
the time so I don't really remember the conversations but AFAIK the
outcome was that they were suppportive of the goal.

> In most areas of Ubuntu folks can participate
> directly before taking on membership, it's healthy to have an onramp for
> contributions with membership as a destination. Would leave it to the TB
> to frame the governance of the actual contributions in this case, I
> think it would be reasonable to suggest that such packageset permissions
> are time-limited and that we have a clear view of the governance of each
> set of permissions and the strategy for quality control that goes with it.

Hmm. We haven't thought about any further restrictions for these folks.
It's my feeling that the majority of applicants will stay just as they
are now, but that sometimes we'll get people who are quite capable but
just don't want to be/aren't involved very deeply in the project.

Like a DD who sometimes fixes bugs in his package, clearly knows the
ropes, but doesn't have significant or sustained contributions. I would
totally understand if this person didn't feel like (or maybe didn't feel
it was appropriate to) seeking Ubuntu membership ever. It'd be sad if we
had to expire their upload rights or require further bureaucratic
hurdles to be jumped through on this basis.

I'm not sure what additional/different quality control would be
necessary. Is your concern that by not being Ubuntu members these folk
don't have skin in the game and therefore might be less careful in their
work in Ubuntu? I think that a necessary component of any successful
application to the DMB should be that the board satisfies itself of the
individual's technical competence and trustworthinesss. Beyond that,
both members and non-members can screw up and we (the developer
community at large) would deal with either in the same way.

Cheers,

--
Iain Lane                                  [ iain at orangesquash.org.uk ]
Debian Developer                                   [ laney at debian.org ]