Ubuntu support for virtualization

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at ubuntu.com
Tue Nov 15 02:52:31 UTC 2011

Hi Mark,

On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 05:59:02PM +0000, Mark Shuttleworth wrote:
> On 11/11/11 17:13, Bodhi Zazen wrote:
> > The issue I am raising is not maintenance of the kernel or kernel
> > patches, the question is as to how Upstart bugs are managed on
> > Launchpad.

> That wasn't even in the subject of your email, Bodhi ;-)

> > The common theme with this technology is that the Ubuntu guest needs to
> > boot in a chroot environment, and that is where Upstart bugs occur.

> As of 11.10 we started to focus a lot more attention on LXC. I
> completely agree that Upstart will need to work smoothly in LXC, and
> have cc'd Steve Langasek for his comments on the relationship between
> the two, and the plan to make them work well together.

I'm not sure if I have the full context for this discussion.  Is there a
specific bug report against upstart that has not been handled?  My current
understanding is that upstart works correctly both under LXC and in a
chroot, and I don't see any open upstart bug reports about problems in this
regard.

Indeed, I know that Stéphane has been working on getting cross-installation
of upstart working, so that he can run emulated *ARM* systems in LXC
containers on x86.  So I'd say that upstart is working pretty well with LXC,
all in all; and there are no current plans for further development in this
area, because as I said there don't appear to be any outstanding issues.

Cheers,