Principia / DevOps / leadership and governance

Mark Shuttleworth mark at ubuntu.com
Sun May 29 17:18:53 UTC 2011

On 29/05/11 09:18, Matthew East wrote:
> On 29 May 2011 08:03, Mark Shuttleworth <mark at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>> The Council serves a number of purposes:
>>
>>  * it highlights a core group who can set policy for the whole work
>>  * it provides a forums for debate and discussion, with resolution
>> (i.e.  a decisive forum)
>>  * it recognises contributors and can confer Ubuntu membership as a result
>>  * it manages the permissions of contribution (i.e. who has commit to a
>> branch in UDD, and who can upload to which package)
> The last point is a new one for any Ubuntu council as far as I know.
> To date all the councils we've appointed have been governance bodies
> which delegate the CC's responsibilities. The DMB and the TB aren't
> called "councils", for very deliberate reasons I think (i.e. we've
> distinguished community governance responsibilities from technical
> responsibilities). If package upload permissions are involved, this is
> something for the TB to discuss.

Right, this is why I mailed both TB and CC.

To a certain extent, the DMB's already do this: they can grant
membership and ALSO manage upload or commit permissions.

Formulas are NOT packaging, so there is no direct overlap between
permissions-for-formulas and permissions-for-packages, but they are
analogous. So, we might want to have a person or team have permission to
land changes to a formula, or a set of formulas. We'll try to reuse much
of the Launchpad UDD machinery for this purpose, but it's quite distinct
from the package-level work.

Mark