Principia / DevOps / leadership and governance

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Sun May 29 08:18:46 UTC 2011

On 29 May 2011 08:03, Mark Shuttleworth <mark at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> The Council serves a number of purposes:
>
>  * it highlights a core group who can set policy for the whole work
>  * it provides a forums for debate and discussion, with resolution
> (i.e.  a decisive forum)
>  * it recognises contributors and can confer Ubuntu membership as a result
>  * it manages the permissions of contribution (i.e. who has commit to a
> branch in UDD, and who can upload to which package)

The last point is a new one for any Ubuntu council as far as I know.
To date all the councils we've appointed have been governance bodies
which delegate the CC's responsibilities. The DMB and the TB aren't
called "councils", for very deliberate reasons I think (i.e. we've
distinguished community governance responsibilities from technical
responsibilities). If package upload permissions are involved, this is
something for the TB to discuss.

--
Matthew East
http://www.mdke.org