Principia / DevOps / leadership and governance

Clint Byrum clint.byrum at canonical.com
Fri May 27 19:56:01 UTC 2011

Excerpts from Jonathan Lange's message of Fri May 27 10:37:38 -0700 2011:
> On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 6:04 PM, Mark Shuttleworth <mark at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> > In short, we'll be building a community of devops, defining, debating,
> > collaborating and maintaining a large collection of formulas. It's that
> > community that I think will need steering, in the same way that the TB
> > provides a forum for architectural and structural issues across the whole
> > archive.

> > As a lead, I would nominate Clint Byrum, a member of the Server Team with a
> > passion for devops who's taken to Ensemble like a duck to water. As other
> > members of the Principia Council, I would nominate Yuan Negron and Marc
> > Cluet, who work in Canonical helping large deployments of Ubuntu. Clint is
> > an Ubuntu Member but I don't think either Yuan or Marc are, yet.
> > Nevertheless, the field is so embryonic that I think it is appropriate to
> > bootstrap in this fashion.
> >

> Makes sense.
>
> Should an Ensemble developer also be on the initial council? Formulas
> and Principia are so heavily tied to the technology that I wonder just
> how much direction a board like this could provide without having some
> kind of influence over lp:ensemble.

Any of the developers would be quite helpful, and I think we should
always strive to have at least one core Ensemble dev on this council.
I'd suggest Jim Baker if he is interested, as he's been the core ensemble
developer who has at least most recently focused on the example formulas.
That said, I've received good ideas from all of the developers while
working on formulas, so I'll reiterate, I think they'd all be excellent
choices.