access for maxb to the udd package importer (jubany)

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Tue Jun 28 13:14:56 UTC 2011

Max Bowsher <https://launchpad.net/~maxb> has been doing huge amounts
of great work on improving the UDD package importer, of which
<http://pad.lv/785859> is one typical example.  This is the machine
that pulls in packages from Debian and Ubuntu and does a two-way synch
with the Ubuntu package branches.

After fixing bugs or operational problems, we typically need to update
the instance of lp:udd on the server, and then restart some imports.
(See again that bug for an example.)

At the moment maxb needs to block on a Canonical staff member to
basically be an intelligent sudo to requeue packages and to get
debugging information.  I think it would be better if we can let Max
directly log in to this machine and run these commands.

Security implications: This will give him control over a a token that
can write to Ubuntu core branches and to access Launchpad with similar
credentials to ~core-devs.  This machine can only access Launchpad
through the rest api and bzr+ssh, and it's outside the main Canonical
firewall.

I have discussed this with elmo and cjwatson and they think this would
be reasonable if the TB assents.  If you don't object, I will ask
Canonical IS to create an account for maxb.

Martin