MicroReleaseException for Banshee SRUs

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Thu Jun 16 18:46:55 UTC 2011

Hello all

Bertrand Lorentz [2011-06-13 16:05 +0200]:
> To document our policy for our stable branch, I've just created the
> following wiki page :
> https://live.gnome.org/Banshee/StableReleasesPolicy

Thanks Bertrand for getting this written.

I interpret "It changes the user interface beyond what is necessary
for fixing a bug" to have a rather strict sense. E. g. if a button is
broken or the text cannot be read, then fixing this is ok (as it
technically "changes" the UI, but it was really objectively broken
before), but flipping the arrangement of buttons in a dialog because
it is more consistent would't, as this is debatable, breaks people's
muscle memory, etc. Is that how you usually handle this?

> The "testing process" part still needs some work.

It would be good to have a representative set of different media
formats (some mp3s, some oggs, aacs, album covers, etc.) which could
be used as a test case, but the spirit of this sounds good. I'm
particularly concerned about breaking upgrades and existing
databases/configurations here.

> Our release schedule and policy is roughly the same as GNOME, so
> stable releases have a similar UI/string/feature freeze. See the wiki
> page linked above.

The policy indeed matches GNOME, and in SRU practice we have accepted
quite a few GNOME upstream microreleases into SRU. There once was an
exception for GNOME microreleases for 10.04 LTS, but it got removed
again as this was only temporary. But the SRU team still accepts them
as long as they meet the normal SRU policy (which many of them do).

As long as there is someone who will actually execute the testing with
the -proposed packages, I'm fine with this proposal, so a +1 from me.
The first couple of updates should be checked more carefully by the
SRU team (i. e. review the changelog and actual code changes) to get
more confidence in this.

Thanks,

Martin