MicroReleaseException for Banshee SRUs

Bertrand Lorentz bertrand.lorentz at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 14:05:23 UTC 2011

Hi everyone,

On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 4:50 AM, Chow Loong Jin <hyperair at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On 09/06/2011 19:07, Mark Shuttleworth wrote:
>> Hi Loong Jin

>>> Unfortunately, we don't have such a document. Commits that are cherry-picked
>>> into the stable branches are done at the discretion of the core Banshee
>>> developers, and there is a strict, unwritten policy of "no new features" in the
>>> stable branch.
>>
>> OK. Sounds close, but can we turn that into a strict, written policy?
>> And add the test process that Martin describes in his follow-up email?
>> That will build confidence (not only in Ubuntu but in other distros too
>> I imagine) in the micro-releases.
>
> I'm CC'ing Banshee developers Gabriel Burt and Bertrand Lorentz to this
> conversation for their input.

To document our policy for our stable branch, I've just created the
following wiki page :
https://live.gnome.org/Banshee/StableReleasesPolicy

It is just a draft for now, and it might be amended after further
discussion in our community. But I don't expect any significant
changes, as we've been under the same unwritten rules for more than
year.
The "testing process" part still needs some work.

> For completion, here's the quoted text from Martin's email:
>> In particular, if there are more complex changes than five-liner crash
>> fixes, etc., then an MRE usually includes how upstream tests their new
>> stable releases -- i. e. on which distro, what kind of features,
>> upgrade from previous versions and existing music DBs, etc.
>>
>> Do the changes to stable banshee have a similar UI/string/feature
>> freeze than we have in Ubuntu?

Our release schedule and policy is roughly the same as GNOME, so
stable releases have a similar UI/string/feature freeze. See the wiki
page linked above.

Regards,

--
Bertrand Lorentz