Re-aligning the Ubuntu Developer Process

Daniel Holbach daniel.holbach at ubuntu.com
Wed Jul 13 13:29:55 UTC 2011

Hello,

first of all: thanks for this discussion. Having been involved in long
debates about the process the MOTU Council used, I think it's good to go
back and see how well we are doing.

Am 08.07.2011 19:44, schrieb Michael Bienia:
> A more general comment:
> I've always had a hard time when dealing with applications from
> Canonical employees as I had a feeling that an approval is "expected" or
> at least some requirements waived through.
> Perhaps this is just a feeling I've without any real background but it
> makes dealing with those applications not easier knowing that those
> applicants "need" the upload rights for their day work and on the other
> hand don't judge Canonical employees and community members different.

I feel that applications of Canonical employees shouldn't be treated
differently than those from non-Canonical contributors. All expectations
and consequences are the same as far as I can see. Everybody

 - wants to avoid being rejected
 - wants a quick decision
 - can still get patches uploaded if they don't have upload rights yet

The obvious advantage which Canonical employees have is that they have
team mates who can (and often are expected to) help them learn and get
their work integrated. Also should it be easier for them to learn from
team mates more quickly. I'm not sure though if this is in any way a
relevant criterion for the DMB.

Have a great day,
 Daniel

--
Ubuntu Developer Week: 11th-15th July 2011
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDeveloperWeek