Principia / DevOps / leadership and governance

Jono Bacon jono at ubuntu.com
Tue Jul 12 23:28:10 UTC 2011

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to pick up on this and move this forward. In Dublin at
some meetings we had some discussions about this council and it sounds
like it serve well for an open and transparent archive of Ensemble
formulas.

It seems to me that this will be an interesting council as the council
would review formulas for inclusion in the Ensemble archive as opposed
to providing a pure governance function. Thus, the council members would
indeed govern and lead, but regularly review new formulas and ack them
based on a set of quality expectations.

If we wish to move forward on this, we have three things to do:

     1. Define contribution process - we need to document how a
        community member can contribute a formula and how the council
        assesses this formula. This process has been documented at
        https://ensemble.ubuntu.com/Formulas and would be governed by
        the council.
     2. Codify the council - we then need to define how the council
        would operate. We have done this before with team councils and I
        have drafted this at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Ensemble/Council -
        nothing in this is particularly surprising, with the exception
        of grandfathering in an initial set of members (I suggested Mark
        Shuttleworth chooses these people and they serve for a year, and
        then the normal re-staffing process kicks in).
     3. Create operational resources - we would then need to ensure we
        have some of the operational elements of a council in place.
        These include:
              * Council documentation - details of how the council runs.
              * Launchpad team - the council in LP complete with council
                members.
              * Meetings scheduled - the regular councils should be
                scheduled and in the fridge calendar.
              * Agenda page - we need to create a page where the
                community can provide agenda items for review.

Does this content look OK to you folks, and would you like to move
forward with the creation of the council?

	Jono

--
Jono Bacon
Ubuntu Community Manager