Re-aligning the Ubuntu Developer Process

Mark Shuttleworth mark at ubuntu.com
Tue Jul 5 20:51:33 UTC 2011

In support of Jono's suggestion, I would say that I've seen a few
occasions where I thought we were excessively conservative before
granting permissions.

The SRU process is where we need extreme control of upload quality; and
we have it. Other areas of our development can be more permissive
because we have a lot more room to accommodate and even benefit from
mistakes as what are euphemistically called "teachable moments". Of
course, letting a bad egg into the team would be a teachable moment too,
but I've seen some excessively high standards being set for new core-dev
applicants in a few cases that end up being demotivating rather than
constructive.

Mark