Build-in DNS cache support

Stéphane Graber stgraber at ubuntu.com
Fri Dec 9 15:37:42 UTC 2011

On 12/09/2011 04:28 AM, Soren Hansen wrote:
> It's true that there is no built-in DNS cache support as we don't
> have a name resolution *service*, but simply a name resolution
> library (in libc). Is far as I'm aware, though, Firefox and
> Chromium both have built-in DNS caches, so most (if not all)
> interactive Internet usage already benefits from a DNS cache.
>
> That is not to say that a DNS cache wouldn't be handy, though. I
> just don't think it's a great concern for the general user
> experience.
>

> 2011/12/3 Mark Shuttleworth <mark at canonical.com>
>>

>> Any merit to this suggestion?
>>
>> -------- Original Message -------- Subject: Build-in DNS cache
>> support Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2011 06:51:24 -0000 From: xiangxw
>> <963632192 at qq.com> Reply-To: xiangxw <963632192 at qq.com> To: Mark
>> Shuttleworth <mark at canonical.com>
>>

>> As far as I know, Ubuntu does not have build-in DNS cache
>> support, while Windows does. Beginners with static IP network
>> sometimes will suffer from it, for Internet surfing will be very
>> slow without DNS cache. This can be solved by install a DNS
>> cache software such as dnsmaq, but I think this should be done
>> before user get Ubuntu.
>>
>> Ubuntu should think more about common users. Think about it, a
>> businessman use Ubuntu for the first time, but Internet is so
>> slow in Ubuntu, he may quit right away and try Windows or Mac.
>> Sorry for my English.

(Sorry if this e-mail gets to the mailing-list twice, used the wrong
- From address initially ...)

We actually discussed that at UDS:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/foundations-p-dns-resolving

I'm still doing tests on Network Manager's dnsmasq integration but for
now I haven't seen it fail any single time. Only issue I noticed is a
VPN integration issue (bug 898224).

Once this bug is fixed my recommendation will be to turn it on in
Network Manager for 12.04.

This will allow for better fall-back between servers, support for
split DNS, better IPv6 support, caching and possibly even DNSSEC support.

The feature would only be on for systems running Network Manager, so
mostly on desktops.

- --
Stéphane Graber
Ubuntu developer