Follow up on Default Desktop Experinece for 11.04

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Wed Apr 13 21:14:26 UTC 2011

Rick Spencer [2011-04-12  9:24 -0700]:
> I followed up directly with the Desktop and Dx teams with regard to
> these issues. Panel applets and systray icons have been deprecated from
> Ubuntu in previous releases. However, they still work in Classic mode,
> so users who have not migrated from these technologies will be supported
> in that mode. Furthermore, for 11.04, systray support can be added to
> Unity via a whitelist.

This is one decision which is really worth debating. Unity has a
systray, but only whitelisted for Java, Skype, and Mumble. I. e. we
knowingly and willfully regress a lot of applications which rely on
having a systray.

So far we weren't very successful of arguing in favor of dropping the
whitelist.

But I want to point out that this is in no way a technical problem,
it's purely a design decision.

Martin