CouchDB SRU exception

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Tue Nov 30 14:18:28 GMT 2010

Hello John,

John Rowland Lenton [2010-11-30  0:27 -0300]:
>  * We asked developers (via ubuntu-devel, ubuntuone-users, and twitter;
>    the latter was picked up by couchdb also) to fill out a survey
>    relative the SRU. The results we had until yesterday were 106
>
>     I use or have users using CouchDB in Lucid, please do this = 48%
>     I use or have users using CouchDB in Lucid, please don't do this = 6.6%
>     I use or have users using CouchDB in Lucid, and I don't know how it
>       would affect me = 6.6%
>     I only use it via desktopcouch, so it won't affect me = 16%
>     I don't use nor have users using CouchDB in Lucid = 22.6%

Thanks for this, but I don't think that anyone ever doubted that it
would be useful for 50% of the users and that 40% don't care. My
concern is that we promise a stable release, which includes stable
APIs for mission critical stuff like databases, and that I don't think
we should sacrifice the needs of these 10% users to satisfy the 90%.

Micah, Scott, Tollef, and Clint made similar comments on the
ubuntu-devel thread.

>  * while we can introduce a couchdb-1.0-bin package into 10.04 to
>    address this issue, we can't really make it co-exist on the same
>    machine wiht a 0.10 couchdb-bin, so it would have to conflict with
>    it

We can certainly make them use different directories, but I guess it's
because they need to share the same TCP port? But since we are mainly
interested in 1.0 for desktopcouch, couldn't we configure couchdb-1.0
to not use a standard TCP port at all by default?

Thanks,

Martin