for tomorrow's meeting: ARB exception proposal

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Tue Nov 16 16:30:10 GMT 2010

Hello Allison,

Allison Randal [2010-11-15 17:55 -0800]:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PostReleaseApps/MaverickExceptionsProposal

this was discussed on today's TB meeting [1], but we ran out of time,
so let's continue this via email.

= .desktop files =

This wasn't discussed extensively, but some comments indicated that
making an exception for those for maverick should be okay. (Hasn't
been officially approved yet, though)

= Python binaries =
Is that actually an issue? They could all live in /opt/<packagename>/,
we are mostly concerned about user-facing apps which ship a desktop
file?

Do we have actual cases where those extra packages ship command line
applications or something which needs to be in $PATH?

How would people think about the (maverick only) permission to ship a
symlink to /opt/... in /usr/local/bin?

= Python libraries =

For maverick we could require app developers to add their application
path directory to sys.path, and fix quickly to do that automatically.
Would that be practical?

pyc files are just a "nice to have", so we could ship maverick
packages without them.

I didn't quite get why people asked for a vendor prefix in /opt/, like
/opt/ubuntu. What would this give us? AFAIK it wouldn't address any of
above problems, and just additionally require LANANA registration,
etc.?

Thanks,

Martin

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/TechnicalBoard/TeamReports/10/November