for tomorrow's meeting: ARB exception proposal

Allison Randal allison at canonical.com
Tue Nov 16 01:55:10 GMT 2010

The Application Review Board would appreciate input from the Tech Board
on an issue that's blocking all applications in our review queue. Simply
put, certain parts of our toolchain and runtime can't currently handle
applications installed entirely under /opt. More details here:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PostReleaseApps/MaverickExceptionsProposal

There are ongoing discussions in the ARB and the community about which
specific technologies merit an exception to /opt installation, but
general agreement on allowing some exceptions until our tools catch up
with our specification. A couple of possible actions from the Tech Board
for tomorrow's meeting:

- Request a list of specific tools/technologies that require an
exception to /opt installation, which the ARB can bring to the next Tech
Board meeting for approval.

- Approve exceptions to /opt installation on the general principle of
"only where absolutely necessary, and only for Maverick", and delegate
the decision(s) on specific tools/technologies to the ARB.

But, any comments or suggestions are welcome.

Allison