Proposal to Release Ubuntu 10.10 on 10.10.10

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Tue May 11 06:56:10 BST 2010

Hello all,

after yesterday's UDS announcement I guess that we are pretty much
stuck with 10.10.10. :-)

Scott James Remnant [2010-05-10  9:49 +0200]:
> I'm not so concerned about the GNOME Release Date worry; odds are this
> release of GNOME is going to slip by anything up to months anyway

That will likely be true for 3.0. We had the "GNOME in Maverick" UDS
session yesterday, and we'll conservatively update application
packages for Maverick.

>- and their .1s haven't been much more than translation updates for a
> while compared to our released packages.

That's true for some packages, but a lot of them brought a great deal
of bug fixes:

 https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gvfs/+changelog
 (the last two are relevant, we did a git snapshot in between; note
 that it adds iPad support)

 https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/glib2.0/2.24.1-0ubuntu1
 https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/totem/2.30.1-0ubuntu1
 https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gdm/2.30.2-0ubuntu1
 [...]

So based on the status updates from above (annoucement, UDS maverick
planning) I give in for 10.10.10; it pretty much leaves the "release
at Sunday", which we can deal with (have everything ready on Friday
and just push the announcement on Sunday).

I strongly object to permanently extending this for future releases.
We have set our dates 6 years ago and defined them to be aligned on
GNOME, and lots of other upstream projects joined in. So far this
release date has always worked fine.

> That way our schedule can guide the cadence of others, rather than
> us being necessarily dependant on someone else's last minute
> schedule changes.

Except that they pushed 2.30{,.1} back a week. I heard some rumours
that this was for better alignment to Fedora, but I can't find
documentation of this quickly; I can ask some GNOME guys at UDS.

Martin