Proposal to Release Ubuntu 10.10 on 10.10.10

Scott James Remnant scott at ubuntu.com
Mon May 10 08:49:04 BST 2010

On Sun, 2010-05-09 at 13:15 +0200, Robbie Williamson wrote:

> I have been approached with a proposal to move the release date up by 3
> weeks to 10/10/10, to take advantage of a "unique marketing
> opportunity".

As discussed UDS, I don't think this is necessarily a bad idea.

But I think that if we do this, we should take the opportunity to move
the release schedule up permanently - avoiding the "last day of the
month" problem!

This should be discussed with all stakeholders first though, I would
particularly recommend:

 - Community Council
 - Ubuntu Release Managers
 - OEM, DX and Design teams (whose schedules may be affected)
 - GNOME Foundation liason

We could have a Town Hall session at UDS, for example.

I'm not so concerned about the GNOME Release Date worry; odds are this
release of GNOME is going to slip by anything up to months anyway - and
their .1s haven't been much more than translation updates for a while
compared to our released packages.

I think instead there would be a great benefit of taking the time *now*
to publish our release schedule for the next two years - with the "not
the end of the month" adjustment.

That way our schedule can guide the cadence of others, rather than us
being necessarily dependant on someone else's last minute schedule
changes.

Scott
--
Scott James Remnant