New Process Review: Post App Release Process

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Wed Jul 14 11:12:40 BST 2010

Hello Jono,

Jono Bacon [2010-07-02 13:14 -0700]:
>     https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PostReleaseApps/Process

Thanks for driving this forward!

Some questions/notes:

 * The partner archive does not get locked down after release. To the
   contrary, it is usually (rather) empty at release time. I fixed
   that in [1], I hope it is ok to edit it inline? If not, please
   revert.

 * I don't quite understand the purpose of the "The process only
   applies to a specific version of an application" limitation. Does
   that mean that the process has to be re-done for each version bump?
   If software-center merely gets a link to the PPA, or a package name
   in a PPA, then the developer can just upload newer versions?

 * We had used a wiki based queue for MIRs for quite some time, and it
   got rather cumbersome. As an alternative we could create an
   ubuntu-app-review LP project and file review requests as bugs
   against it. That way we get dynamic queue lists, can assign them to
   people, and can track their state ("incomplete", "wontfix", "fix
   committed" (approved), "fix released" (added to sw-center)).

   This would also eliminiate the explicit "mail this list" step,
   since it happens automatically due to bug subscriptions.

 * "Includes family-friendly end-user content": If interpreted
   strictly, this might also rule out quite a lot of games. Do we
   really want that?

 * The package review is a lot like reviews on REVU or the NEW queue
   for archive admins, just with some more relaxed checks. However,
   should we do a rigorous copyright/license evaluation that we do for
   the NEW queue? I. e. ascertain that all files in the package have
   a unique copyright and license assigned, and that there are no
   files that violate the license? A common example for the latter is
   a PDF file without the OO.o/LaTeX/etc. source in a GPL package. We
   can probably allow some leeway here, since we do not ship those
   packages in Ubuntu, but at least some cursory checks might be
   adequate.

Otherwise this process looks suitable to me.

Thank you!

Martin

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PostReleaseApps/Process?action=diff&rev2=20&rev1=19