New Process Review: Post App Release Process

Jono Bacon jono at ubuntu.com
Fri Jul 2 21:14:36 BST 2010

Hi All,

At the Ubuntu Developer Summit in Belgium we discussed a new feature
and process that we would like to deliver in Maverick; that is, the
ability for an application developer to get visibility for their
application the Ubuntu Software Center after we have released a
version of Ubuntu.

At UDS we discussed two components to this process:

 * The process - the process is what I have taken the responsibility
of creating and drafting, and it will codify a community-driven
'Application Review Board' and submission process that app developers
can use (blueprint at
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/community-m-post-release-app-process)
 * The implementation - Rick Spencer is driving the technical
implementation of this work (blueprint at
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/desktop-maverick-opportunistic-apps-stable-release)

My engagement with the Technical Board on this topic is purely around
the process, which I have created and documented at:

    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PostReleaseApps/Process

So far this process has been reviewed by:

 * Matt Zimmerman
 * Rick Spencer
 * Iain Lane

Each of the above was actively engaged in the discussion at UDS, so I
wanted to give it to them for a quick sanity check first.

As such, I am now formally proposing this process for review by the
Technical Board. My recommendation is that you review it first over
email and then we can have the vote at the next Technical Board
meeting.

Naturally, I am happy to answer and clarify any questions about the process.

Many thanks,

  Jono

--
Jono Bacon