[storm] Roadmap?

James Henstridge james.henstridge at canonical.com
Mon Feb 23 19:05:51 GMT 2009

On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 8:35 AM, Tsolakos Stavros <stsolakos at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I have recently decided to use storm for my application. What I can
> understand from visiting the website is that storm is a work in
> progress.

While Storm still sees changes, I wouldn't characterise it as a work
in progress.  It is used to power a number of applications at
Canonical including Launchpad and Landscape.  So I'd say it is ready
to use.

> It is indeed a very promising project. I would like to ask a
> few questions about it:
>
> Is there an official roadmap for the project?

Most of the development is driven by the needs of the projects we are
working on.  You can get an idea of what is planned at:

    https://bugs.launchpad.net/storm/+bugs

Unfortunately, a fair number of those bugs haven't had importance
assigned though.

> How many developers are involved?

There are about 5 who actively contribute from Canonical.  There are
also outside contributors working on improvements (e.g. the Microsoft
SQL Server and Oracle patches are external contributions).

We try to provide timely feedback on patch submissions, which are
usually handled through Launchpad.

> The mailing list looks quiet. Is it because of lack of interest?

As Brad mentioned, the list is not the only place where things are
happening.  Some things get discussed in bug reports, and the code
review happens on Launchpad too.

James.