Ubuntu opts for LibreOffice over Oracle's OpenOffice

Samuel Thurston sam.thurston at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 01:45:47 UTC 2011

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LTS

> guess I cannot gripe about LTS being security/bugfixes then. Oh wait, I can!
> Where is the bug fix for Hardy with regards to Yahoo! Messenger accounts?
> Great job for a desktop oriented distro. There is even a patch for kopete
> but no, they would not fix that bug.

You can gripe about whatever you like.  How effective it will be
depends greatly on your tone and to whom you direct the griping.

FYI adding the pidgin PPA (instructions at
http://www.pidgin.im/download/ubuntu/)
and doing an upgrade is rumored to resolve the yahoo issue in Lucid's Empathy.

It's not strictly a bug or security fix, since the issue revolves
around yahoo's changing their server protocols after the release.
Technically adapting to a new protocol constitutes a new features,
insofar as developers are concerned.

>> I should also point out that launchpad has a project for managing
>> uptake in the lucid-backports repo, here:
>>
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/lucid-backports
>>
>> and I see no requests for libreoffice in the bugs.  Maybe try voicing
>> your disappointment there?
>>

> Backports meaning something from a later release? I guess I cannot ask for
> Libreoffice until that makes it into a release...

http://packages.ubuntu.com/natty/libreoffice-core

or you could simply ask for it now.  Asking will at least get things
started, griping on the low-traffic off-topic mailing list probably
won't help you a lot.

Personally I've never seen the value in LTS releases since I am not
maintaining a large multi-user installation, and I was a Debian user
before migrating to Ubuntu BECAUSE of the shorter release cycle.
Perhaps you should consider doing the dist upgrade every 6 months
instead of being upset about your 2 year old desktop not being up to
speed.

But, since I have managed to find a solution to every issue you've
raised within 5 minutes of Google searching, it makes me honestly
wonder how concerned you really are about the issues themselves,
versus taking an interest in complaining about them.

Just sayin.  Best of luck.