Ubuntu opts for LibreOffice over Oracle's OpenOffice

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Tue Jan 25 02:10:53 UTC 2011

On Tuesday, January 25, 2011 09:45 AM, Samuel Thurston wrote:

> Personally I've never seen the value in LTS releases since I am not
> maintaining a large multi-user installation, and I was a Debian user
> before migrating to Ubuntu BECAUSE of the shorter release cycle.
> Perhaps you should consider doing the dist upgrade every 6 months
> instead of being upset about your 2 year old desktop not being up to
> speed.

Hahaha. You must be kidding. I did the Hardy->Inteprid->Jaunty treadmill
and stopped. While I did not get major problems, you bet I don't want
there to be a first like all the others who were screaming on the other
list. I stuck with Jaunty until it's support cycle almost ended and then
did two upgrades in a row to reach Lucid. I use Kubuntu so in my case,
it was worth the hassle but I am not going to go through that ever again.

> But, since I have managed to find a solution to every issue you've
> raised within 5 minutes of Google searching, it makes me honestly
> wonder how concerned you really are about the issues themselves,
> versus taking an interest in complaining about them.
>
> Just sayin.  Best of luck.

I rebuilt kopete to support Yahoo! Messenger on my Hardy box with a
patch submitted to a bug report on Hardy. So yeah, I am not concerned, I
just love complaining that I had to do the legwork.

Find a solution within 5 minutes of Google searching right? How about a
solution for pulseaudio on Lucid when you have two soundcards, onboard
and an addon? No, disabling or removing one of them is not quite
acceptable as the addon provides a joystick port and midi.