Ubuntu 11.10 makes Unity compulsory

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Tue Apr 5 06:58:01 UTC 2011

On 05/04/2011 01:03, Michael Haney wrote:
> You know its funny, before we went off on a debate about Israel we
> were all complaining how bad Unity was going to be.  But, 11.04 hasn't
> even been released yet and who knows what changes will occur between
> now and then.  I'm certain Canonical won't allow a blatantly defective
> UI loose on the community.

Wanna bet?!

>    They've got to be way smarter than that.

An optimist!

> In the Linux world, just like the gaming world, you fuck up and people
> will go elsewhere and it will be a bitch to get people to come back.

Yep, just like opensuse with the KDE 4 fiasco.

No reason to assume that Canonical won't do a similar thing with 11.04
and Unity - after all, it is now only 3 weeks before final release and
no-one but a a total and completely hopeless optimist would think that
in 2 weeks [**] all the defects would be removed.

[**] 2 weeks because everything is frozen a week before release to allow
for production of CDs and DVDs.

> Also, Unity is a new DE, so there are bound to be issues and Canonical
> can't find them all on their own, so the community is going to have to
> help them find those issues as they use 11.04 so that 11.10 can be a
> better release.

If you want to do this then you release Ubuntu NOT with Unity as the
default DE but as an OPTION to be installed by "the brave".

As well, unlike opensuse which uses opensuse releases for the users to
find problems before the software goes into their commercial version,
Ubuntu has no such program.

> I do agree that Unity shouldn't be compulsory though, and Canonical
> should have the classic Gnome 2 desktop pre-installed for those who
> want to switch.

Yep, Unity should be an option and not forced down your throat as the
default - with people then having to spend download time and volume to
get the gnome DE, which is a hybrid anyway :-( .

>    Perhaps they should give users an incentive of some
> kind for using Unity and reporting any bugs that need to be ironed
> out.  I don't know what that incentive could be, but it would get more
> people to want to use Unity and help make Ubuntu a better distro.

Amen.

BC

--
Any experiment in life will be at your own experience.