Action in Ubuntu Users

Douglas Pollard dougpol1 at verizon.net
Mon Sep 13 17:28:39 BST 2010

On 09/13/2010 10:53 AM, David Gerard wrote:
> On 13 September 2010 15:49, Douglas Pollard<dougpol1 at verizon.net>  wrote:
>

>>      If such a thing were workable it could move Linux more into the
>> public eye as well as a very important alternative system.   Any way, I
>> told them I would place the question on line to some of the Linux groups
>> to see if any of this made any sense to people who understand Linux and
>> software far more than I do
>>

> Linux is Unix, so this is entirely feasible. Look up UUCP and Usenet
> on Wikipedia. You don't even need the Internet - UUCP can run over any
> sort of connection. It was originally for just dialup modems, back
> when 19200 bits per second was *amazing*.
>

> - d.

The ham operators that I talked to feel that they partially because they
are such a monority and out of focus to an enemy power have an
obligation to provide emegency radio service to the world if needed.
They Jumped on the idea that Linux users might well have the same
obligation.  Anyway I thought it was an interesting thing to
consider.                        Doug