OpenOffice.org has been forked

Jan Claeys lists at janc.be
Fri Oct 1 05:24:37 BST 2010

Op vrijdag 01-10-2010 om 13:24 uur [tijdzone +1000], schreef Basil
Chupin:
> On 01/10/2010 03:48, Martin Webster wrote:

> >> I have a printing plate which prints "Ex Libris" to be pasted into
> >> the books which I own.
> >>
> >> "Ex Libris" comes from Latin - "from the books or library...".
> >>
> >> "Canta Libre" means "Song book" or "Book of Songs" but the base
> word
> >> is from Latin.
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gratis_versus_Libre
>
> The Desk Standard Dictionary of the English Language, Foreign Words
> Phrases, etc., -
>

> ex libris.  [L.]  From [among] the books [of]: an inscription in a
> book followed by the author's name.

http://la.wiktionary.org/wiki/liber

Basically, as an adjective it means "free", as a substantive it means
"book" (there are also 2 other meanings, but they aren't really related
to this discussion, and are pronounced differently anyway).

(And I think it's used as an adjective here, but you can ask The
Document Foundation to be sure...)

--
Jan Claeys