Is Canonical getting "Neroed"?

Michael Haney thezorch at gmail.com
Mon Mar 22 20:58:53 GMT 2010

"Neroed" is a term me and my friends created based on what happened to
the creators of Nero Burning ROMs.  A company that is "Neroed" started
out small with a great product that was a joy to use, but eventually
as they became successful the quality of their product began to
degrade into the bloated difficult piece of crap it is today.  When we
say a company is "Neroed", we mean its become so big and successful
that they don't really care about quality anymore.  Apple is one good
example of a Neroed company.  Micro$oft became Neroed some time ago.
My friend considers Youtube to be Neroed.

Mark Shuttleworth's recent comments to the community concerning the
new UI design for Ubuntu 10.04 (which I don't have a problem with) and
many of the inexplicable changes made to Ubuntu in previous releases
(ie; removal of the monitor hardware selection screen from the screen
resolution window for instance) has me really concerned.  Has
Canonical let success get to their heads?  The snarky "this is not a
democracy" comment by Mark Shuttleworth, which is really hypocritical
coming from a man who dislikes such corporate dictatorship, should be
setting off alarms in every person who uses Ubuntu and Linux in
general.

Is Canonical getting "Neroed"?  I think it is, and I think the
community needs to get its head out of its collective ass and stand up
for the principles upon which the distro was created.

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
"The greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the hijacking

Visit My Site:  http://sites.google.com/site/thezorch/home-1
To Contact Me:
http://sites.google.com/site/thezorch/home-1/zorch-central---contacts