Thunderbird 3 is a pain in the neck

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Mon Mar 1 02:24:55 GMT 2010

On Monday, March 01, 2010 08:55 AM, Amedee Van Gasse wrote:
> On 01-03-10 01:06, Christopher Chan wrote:
>> Blasted thing is forever reindexing. A seriously BAD idea when people
>> have thousands of emails in a folder or something.
>
> POP or IMAP?
> I'm using IMAP, and a folder with 15000 emails took only a minute to
> reindex from scratch. That's with the download of headers included.

IMAP. A minute? Outlook Express does not even reindex. How's that for
saving time/not introducing 'lag'? I have multiple folders with
thousands of emails. It gets annoying when I have wait while Shredder
stalls to do some reindexing.

>> Outlook Express with its foxpro database is probably the fastest for
>> this sort of thing.
>
> Foxpro? Really? Do you have any sources about that? I can't find
> anything on Google that confirms it.

Nope. Just hearsay. Those cannot possibly be dbase files could they?

> It's not that I don't believe you, but at a previous job our main
> product was built with FoxPro, so I'm a bit familiar with that database
> format, but I never noticed that OE uses it.

Well, it uses some form of database. Foxpro is listed for the file
extension of the 'Outlook Express format' file dbx.
http://filext.com/file-extension/DBX

> Anyway, Microsoft has terminated OE in favor of their Live Mail.

Yeah. Sad in that the fastest imap client is going to disappear but it
is otherwise good riddance Lookout Express.