Not using desktop Linux? You're wasting your money

Amedee Van Gasse (ub) amedee-ubuntu at amedee.be
Fri Jun 18 08:20:34 BST 2010

On Fri, June 18, 2010 06:11, Fred A. Miller wrote:

>>> are
>>> email
>>> >

>> Please, spare me the 'the network is the computer' tripe.
>>

> I didn't write it, I just passed it on. This is what some in the media
> think, right or wrong. I agree with you, but obviously, the press doesn't.
>
> Fred

I find this article relevant for the sounder list.
I may not agree with all of it. If you only need a portal for web apps,
then you don't need a heavyweight distro like Ubuntu either.
There are some motherboard manufacturers that have a lightweight OS
embedded on a chip. Boots up in less than 10 seconds. I don't know what
they are using, probably something light like Puppy or DSL.

I don't think it's the 'the network is the computer' tripe. I work at a
steel mill that was already at the forefront of high-tech in the 1960's.
So we're talking about mainframes and terminals here. Indeed why do our
factory workers need a WinXP pc to operate a mainframe terminal session?
It's a pendulum movement, and the economical crisis is putting pressure on
IT managers so they are considering all kinds of options.