Not using desktop Linux? You're wasting your money

Chan Chung Hang Christopher christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Fri Jun 18 15:26:17 BST 2010

> I find this article relevant for the sounder list.
> I may not agree with all of it. If you only need a portal for web apps,
> then you don't need a heavyweight distro like Ubuntu either.

Anybody remember Lotus Smartsuite and how IBM tried to make an online
version? Okay, GoogleDocs is quite popular today but still...

> There are some motherboard manufacturers that have a lightweight OS
> embedded on a chip. Boots up in less than 10 seconds. I don't know what
> they are using, probably something light like Puppy or DSL.

Yeah, I too wonder what Asus put on their boards...maybe one day I will
just try it out...

> I don't think it's the 'the network is the computer' tripe. I work at a
> steel mill that was already at the forefront of high-tech in the 1960's.
> So we're talking about mainframes and terminals here. Indeed why do our
> factory workers need a WinXP pc to operate a mainframe terminal session?
> It's a pendulum movement, and the economical crisis is putting pressure on
> IT managers so they are considering all kinds of options.

Mainframe terminal != Browser terminal on a broadband link. The blooming
browser will need Flash and Java.