The truth about government and open source

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 21:46:44 BST 2010

On 13 July 2010 20:38, Fred A. Miller <fmiller at lightlink.com> wrote:

> "Another important point is your relationship to the community, which in
> this case is the whole country. You’re taking software from a commons. You
> need to donate back. You need to accept the contributions and ideas of
> complete outsiders, maybe even foreigners, maybe even Americans."
> The above would be a problem with the new gov't in the UK, I think. There's
> also some other points made I'd say will be problematic.

The new Conservative-LibDem government are by *words* better on this
than the previous Labour government were. And they've admitted the
government is actually broke and it's time for some severe austerity,
and one of open source's important virtues is that it's *cheaper*. The
proof will, of course, be in the pudding.

- d.