Is Canonical Becoming The New Microsoft?

Manish Sinha manishsinha.tech at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 15:30:20 GMT 2010

Gryllida wrote:

>     - As for Proprietary Software, I believe Linux needs more commercial
>     software support.  I'm not one of those die hard "everything must be
>     open source" fanatics who seem to think they own the Linux Community.
>     So what Ubuntu One is proprietary and so what there might be a Linux
>     version.  One of bigger reasons why Linux in general gets little
>     respect from mainstream uses is the lack of software from the big-name
>     commercial developers, and Games are indeed high on that list.  Games
>     drive the Home PC market, whether you want to admit it or not is
>     irrelevant, and the lack of commercial game titles on Linux is one of
>     the many forces holding it back from widespread acceptance.  I
>     couldn't CARE LESS if my device drivers and applications are open or
>     closed source as long as they WORK.  Wouldn't you like to have DVD
>     playback software that actually works right the first time, or Linux
>     ports of software which previously could only be run using Wine?
>

> False. Open-source software is the basis of our existence. We use it,
> many of us contribute. "Open-source" is a Big name, and "comfortable"
> is a Big reason to use.
This is precisely the reason why Linux is still lagging. If you make
Linux mainstream, then we will have more drivers for wifi and graphics.
Then we can discuss on the opennes.
Don't you think we are actually being restrictive in the name of
openness. We criticize if something isn't open esp when it is meant for
everyone. If there are closed drivers. then we cry so badly as if we own
the distro, forgetting that someone else might be welcoming those closed
components.
If we don't like 'em, purge 'em. Chapter closed.

>     - I don't see the benefit of dropping the GIMP and OOo from Ubuntu's
>     default installation.
>

> Neither do I. I think they should be included.

Reason! Please put your valid reasons for putting forward your views.
They shouln't be included. GIMP is meant for power user not for normal
ones. Even GIMP devs are okay with this decision. IIRC Even F12 has
removed GIMP. No one cried out so badly as people in Ubuntu community
complained.

FFS if has been removed from the default install. Crib only when it
removed from the repos.

>      A read an article that said Ubuntu
>     dropping GIMP from the default installation in 10.04 was a sign of
>     maturity.  I'd can bring myself to see it that way.
>

>  Really sad that they will not be included...

It is a sign of maturity. The default install of Ubuntu isn't for power
users. It doesn't even have *libc6-dev* package for compiling C based
programs.
If you are a developer, Debian is for you. If you are a designer, choose
a Mac or Ubuntu Studio.

>     - Moving from Google to Yahoo as the default search engine.
>

> God! They are mad!

Now way. You are over-reacting. Have you contributed a single penny to
Ubuntu project in any way? Directly or indirectly?
Canonical needs money to survive and continue development of Ubuntu.

For god's sake, they need money. sabdfl has already put billions of
dollars into this project. He deserves a return.

>      This is
>     probably the biggest of Canonical's boneheaded moves.  Google offers
>     far richer services than Yahoo.
>

> Yes, of course! Does Yahoo pay Canonical to advertise it?! No, that's
> a wrong move...

Dude! I repeat. They need money to survive.

>      Going the Yahoo route means getting
>     in bed with Micro$oft and that alone is going to raise the ire of many
>     a Linux Zealots.  Yahoo's search uses Bing, which they say is growing
>     in usershare, but its not a significant amount compared to Google's
>     usershare.  Now, Google has rolled out another new service called
>     Google Buzz, a Facebook-like feature that works in Gmail!  What the
>     hell is Canonical thinking?
>
>     That's my opinion anyway.

Urgg. Enough of fanaticism. Don't cook plots and conspiracy stories.
> I will not swoon after I install Ubuntu 10.4, as I will be prepared to
> these awful changes. Thank you!

Exactly.