Hello Sounder!

Michael Haney thezorch at gmail.com
Sun Sep 27 21:29:05 BST 2009

On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 2:42 PM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> VirtualBox is good for Linux, Windows or Solaris. Any other OS is not
> really supported and the product itself is rather shoddy. But it'll
> do. I would NOT use it professionally, but it's fine for home use.
>
> With any virtualisation, the main thing is enough memory. Lots and
> lots of memory. As much memory as you can fit into your system.

I use VirtualBox on my Vista laptop with Xubuntu.  My Ubuntu desktop
is too slow to use XP in VirtualBox for gaming.  Its an older
single-core Athlon XP 2000+ 1.2GHz CPU with 1GB of RAM and an 8x AGP
GeForce FX 5600 GPU.  If I had a quad core system, a more modern
graphics card and lots of RAM maybe and if the 3D acceleration support
in VirtualBox could handle the games I normally run...

These are...
* Final Fantasy XI: Online (an MMORPG)
* TeamFortress 2
* Half-Life 2
* Unreal Tournament 2004
* Dungeons & Dragons Online: Eboron Unlimited (Free-To-Play MMORPG)
* Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
* Warcraft III
* Starcraft Broodwar
* Portal
* Trackmania Unlimited
* Battlefield Heroes
* Project 64 (a 3D accelerated Nintendo 64 emulator) and other
emulators (SNES, NES, Sega Genesis/32X, Gameboy Advance, Commodore 64,
Atari 2600, MAME)

A friend of mine uses Parallels on the Mac a lot.  He uses it to run
Final Fantasy XI: Online for low-intensity tasks like crafting,
gardening and Chocobo Races (you don't actually control the bird, you
give the jockey items which they use randomly during the race).  When
he actually wants to go farming or leveling solo or in a party he'll
reboot into the BootCamp partition and run the game there natively
from XP.  Despite its improvements in Direct 3D support Parallels
can't run the game well enough to used for regular play.  The graphics
get choppy and FFXI's PC version is a serious resource hog despite
being an older game.

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
thezorch at gmail.com