FCC and the internet

Harold Sawyer hrsawyer at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 17:31:50 BST 2009

Pardon my American distrust of government, but there is little that
the US Government has gotten involved with that has not ended badly,
at least lately.  Forcing banks to give toxic loans to those who would
never be able to pay them back (the real cause of our current
world-wide recession).  Borrowing money to buy shares of automobile
companies and giving them to unions.  Even as far back as Nixon
putting caps on raises nationally, causing all sorts of market
problems.  Government officials so often manipulate things based on
narrow views, very partial information, or money and influence
promised.

Yes I am an Adam Smith radical.  I hope I didn't offend many of my
Sounder friends.  And I think my political / fiscal opinions are out
of place in this forum.  But that is what the current attempt on the
part of the American Federal Government to control the internet is all
about.

For you non-Americans who aren't following such things:  A young
20-something couple spent less than $2,000 dollars in an undercover
sting, filming interviews in a few cities with a national community
organizing company near and dear to those currently running our
federal government.  The internet allowed them, with less than $2,000,
bring Congress to the position that they felt they had to de-fund this
organization nationally.  All through using the internet.

With my apologies, I will not comment further on this.

Harold

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 12:03 PM, John McCabe-Dansted <gmatht at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 11:30 PM, Douglas Pollard <dougpol1 at verizon.net> wrote:
>>  What is Net Neutrality,
>
> Let me google that for you:
>   http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Net+Neutrality
>
> This will give you a list of sites that will give you a more thorough
> answer than I could provide.
>
>> is an opinionated e-mail a
>> violation of such a doctrine??
>
> No but using deep packet filtering to censor opinionated e-mails may
> be a violation of Net Neutrality. Turns out Net Neutrality has more to
> do with prohibiting ISPs from censoring, rather than requiring them
> from doing so. While governments have made numerous attempts to censor
> the internet, this doesn't appear to be one of them.
>
> --
> John C. McCabe-Dansted

Harold Sawyer
www.centralconnecticutwcg.org