Kiosk mode & distributing proprietary add-ins

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 20:19:10 BST 2009

2009/3/27 Alan Pope <alan at popey.com>:
> 2009/3/26 Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com>:
>> Is it legal to resell PCs in the UK with Ubuntu installed /complete
>> with MP3 playback, Flash etc./? Where would I go to find out about
>> this?
>>

> The Canonical OEM team would be my first port of call when talking
> about the use of the Ubuntu brand in selling computers.
>
> In terms of licenses for software, for Flash, google + adobe + flash +
> license results in:-
>
> http://www.adobe.com/products/eulas/#desktop where the license for
> each Adobe product can be found.
>
> For mp3 playback I would suspect it depends which codec package you
> choose to use, and would need to adhere to whatever license under
> which that was distributed.

Firstly, I'm not considering selling anything, myself!

Let's put it this way. If one were making & selling PCs, and one
wanted to offer them preloaded with Ubuntu.

AFAIK & AIUI, as Ubuntu is Free, one can install it on the PC and sell
the PC, no issues, no payment or anything required. No rebranding or
anything.

*But*... what if before despatch one added the "universe" repository & did

apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

Would that still be OK?

And if one then added the Medibuntu repos & also installed w32codecs,
libdvddecss, msttfonts, skype, adobereader

(or whatever the relevant package names are - the most common useful
proprietary add-ons, those which are freely available from the online
repos.) Nothing, in other words, that any Ubuntu user can't just add
themselves without licences, payment, EULAs or anything else.

Still kosher?

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com
MSN: lproven at hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508